Trinicenter.com Trinicenter.com Trinidad and Tobago News
Online Forums
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Trinicenter.com International Forum
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Toowoomba snubs UN and keeps 'black person' sign (Read 249 times)
Review
Administrator

Trinicenter

Toowoomba snubs UN and keeps 'black person' sign
May 2nd, 2003 at 4:44am

May 2 2003, Australia, www.smh.com.au

A Queensland regional sports ground has rejected a United Nations recommendation to remove the word "black person" from one of its grandstands.

After a week of fierce debate, the Toowoomba Sports Ground Trust decided to retain the venue's ES "black person" Brown sign.

Aboriginal activist Stephen Hagan, who petitioned the UN to rule on the matter, has fought for years to have the word removed from the sign which honours Edward Brown, Toowoomba's first rugby league international.

Mr Brown, who died in 1972 aged 74, was not an Aborigine and was believed to have earned the nickname because of his extremely fair complexion or because he had a penchant for using "black person Brown" shoe polish.

Several Australian courts ruled the name could stay, but last week the UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination recommended it should go.

"The committee considers that ... use and maintenance of the offending term can at the present time be considered offensive and insulting," it said.

But trust chairman John McDOnald today said he had not been formally notified of the recommendations and the sign would remain untouched.

"At a meeting ... a unanimous resolution was passed by the trust that no action be taken regarding the ES 'black person' Brown sign," Mr McDonald said.

Mr Hagan said he was disappointed by the decision.

"The decision cements Toowoomba's position as the redneck capital of Australia," he said.

"I find it very strange that John McDonald, the chairman of the sports ground trust, was an architect of the racial vilification laws in rugby league whereby if a player calls another player black person on the football field he can get a fine of up to $10,000 and be suspended for six weeks.

"Now John McDonald is fighting tooth and nail to maintain the sign with the word black person on it."

Mr Hagan said he was prepared to take further legal action on the matter.

"I will have to consider my legal option of pursuing them in the courts individually," Mr Hagan said.

AAP

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/05/02/1051382077494.html

IP Logged

anarchy99
Newbies

Trinicenter.com

USA
Re: Toowoomba snubs UN and keeps 'black person' sign
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2003 at 8:39pm

???

>Aboriginal activist Stephen Hagan, who petitioned the UN <

I just don't get it, what is so terrible if a white person calls himself "black" as part of a nickname?
I think black (and white) activists are pushing their agenda too far to be taken seriously anymore by anybody with half a brain!
And what gives the UN the right in meddeling in another countries business anyway?

This whole, "over-the-shoulder-spying", totalitarian, communistic approach to the rest of the world by the UN is downright criminal!

Greets, and the hope that people realize they are not ants!

Oh, and by the way, you can call me "whitey" anyday. That wont hurt my feelings (even so rappers use this word, or "cracker", very liberaly); because I have a sense of humor.

anarchy99    Cheesy

Ultimate freedom is to let others be. Let everyone find his or her own way. Don't presume you know better what's good for them, if really it's only better for yourself!
IP Logged